While researching 1865 apparel – yes, I finally did find photos of museum accessions and colored fashion plates – I came to the conclusion that I was preparing to make the wrong dress. As it turned out, what I thought was a day dress was actually a work dress, which would not be right for the fabric I want to use. Now I know that the world will not stop rotating over this, but it matters to me.
So, I changed course and decided to go with a two-piece day dress instead. This means that I have to buy two patterns, one for the waist and one for the skirt. And, of course, changing the dress means changing from a wide-brimmed sun hat to a bonnet.
The museum anniversary event is seven (!!!) weeks away and I don’t have patterns or fabric. I see this going badly for someone. Very likely that someone is me.