My Fine Feathered Friend-in-the-Making

Update on my progress with the combined challenges of the Historical Sew Fortnightly #18 (re-make, re-use, re-model) and Accessorize from Head-To-Toe (September – Hats).  With twelve days to go, things are looking good.

I started with something that looked a lot like this. Instead of a humongous satiny bow, it had a humongous plastic netting bow. It had more of the black feathers, and there were coq feathers on the crown. Underneath it all, however, the base black is identical.

Very similar base hat, side view

Very similar base hat, side view

Very similar base hat, front view

Very similar base hat, front view

I cut of all of the plastic netting (through lava flows of hot glue) and tidied up the feathers. Next was a series of eBay adventures until I found the vintage, handmade millinery supplies I wanted. I found some old (not rusted) millinery wire. Soon afterward, I discovered the usefulness of bandages for holes created in fingers by said old millinery wire. Happily, I’m up to date on my tetanus boosters. (And I never thought I’d be using the word “tetanus” in a blog about hats. Live and learn.)

I did the first round of transition from black hat into Edwardian Hat a few months ago, but it still wasn’t “right.” After looking at it for a few more months, I figured out what I want to do and the re-model/re-make is well underway. Teasers:

Teaser #1

Teaser #2

Advertisements