As you may have noticed, I haven’t posted anything for nearly a month. Yikes! Distractions, digressions, dissuasions…just the plain ol’ stuff of life. But now that’s over, I’ve got more time to have some real fun. Woohoo!
There is a lot to catch up on, so I’ll start with what’s finished. (See? It does happen.)
May I have the first slide, please.
The Chemise: It is done! Finished! Completed! It’s not been washed or pressed, but it’s on the dress form. (Sorry for the bad lighting, we’ve an arctic storm coming down from the Canadian interior and it’s been dark.) I have the neckline cinched up pretty high, but it goes much lower and is gently squared off at the front corners. The green ribbon tie will be replaced with white.
This is probably the first time in history it took someone 2 1/2 months to hand sew a simple chemise. But somebody has to hold the record for last place in making a garment that people have been cranking out for a few centuries, so it may as well be me.
The second gusset went in much easier than the first one. (I’d say it would be impossible to have it gone worse, but I know me.) Since the gussets are inset a bit differently, I worried that the chemise wouldn’t hang correctly. To my delighted surprise, the error actually made the chemise fit better. My right shoulder is a little lower than the left one and the cattywampus gusset adjusted the fit just enough that all is well. Who’d’a thought?
I’m so glad I chose cotton sateen for the chemise – the more I handled it, the softer it became. Now it has just the faintest whisper of a nap so it’s very comfortable to wear.
And that, ladies and gentlemen, completes the “finished” portion of our program.
The Reticule: It was going so well. It looked great. The beads were sliding on and staying right where they should. Then I noticed that three of the spaces between the leaves had, shall we say, issues. I “unknit’ for a few rows, picked the stitches back up and pressed on. Until Sophie, the wonder pup, jumped into my lap and I dropped about a dozen stitches. I picked them up, knit 2 rows and realized that I’d missed a couple of stitches. So I frogged (rip-it, rip-it, rip-it) it for a few more rows, picked up the stitches…and got the same result. I have the worst time picking up dropped stitches with lacy-ish patterns, even one as simple as this. Eventually I was left with 4 perfectly good rows that I had to tear out anyway because I’d messed around with the yarn so much it wasn’t looking good.
I present the “devolution” of a reticule:
The yarn is currently in the basket, taking a time out to consider alternative outcomes and a pending performance review.