I could have made this post earlier, but my uploaded photos went missing again in the Cloud-o-Sphere until now. The fichu is soooo close to done and I’m even more excited. I love the creative process. Here’s what’s happened since yesterday’s post
I started building the left front in layers, just as I did the right, and did a visual check for symmetry and to see how the front closure overlap will look:
I finished layering the left half and aligned the center back seam:
I hand-sewed the center back seam to ensure the halves mirrored each other accurately, then I continued the first row of black lace along the neck edge:
I liked the look so much, I decided to do a mirror reverse for the back neck edge:
But it looked too blah where the two pieces of black lace butted up against each other. Thinking of he Unofficial Victorian Motto “Nothing succeeds like excess.” it occurred to me that a little line of beaded lace would look great. But the nearest fabric store is almost an hour away – I kid you not – and I was not about to spend 3 hours of the day and all that gas just for a few inches of beading lace. Cue Inspiration: just cut down the double-layered beading lace and use that. (These are the moments that make up for all the time spent playing around with the bits and pieces.) And so:
The final outer double-ruffle of ruched black organdy (yes, more ruffles) is pinned into place and as soon as this post is done I’ll be hand-sewing it in place.
Then there will be a black rosette center front to hide the closure. And, although it’s not easy to see in the photo, the outermost black lace is gathered underneath the organdy ruffle:
The next photo will be of the finished fichu. I’m not going to hurry this through – a bit late to worry about that now – but it will be done by the posting deadline and that’s good enough for me.