It is so nice to be back at the sewing machine and working on the long stays again.
I’m glad I had a break from them, although this was longer than intended, because now I could look at them with a fresh eye. I made a few tiny adjustments then pulled back to look at the big picture.
While working with the three layers this morning I decided that the interlining twill was too stretchy. I want fabric that is a bit less forgiving. So I made another one from white twill that is heavier and had a lot less stretch.
Whipped it up in no time at all, which should have been my first clue. Stitched on the shoulder straps and noticed this:
Now I know good and well that the shoulder straps should be sewn to the back, not the front. The pattern is very clear about this. Apparently I had considered this a “guideline” and not instruction.
I have, of course, sewn the left back to the right side front and vice versa. Thankfully, it’s an easy fix – just one seam each side to rip and re-sew. By tomorrow evening I hope to have all of the layers aligned and together to prepare for the boning channels…by Saturday for sure.