A Brief Diversion Back to the 18th Century.

It seems like forever since I’ve been able to start and finish a project in one clean swoop and it’s getting frustrating. I want to get something done. So, since fiddling around with the Great Regency Armscye Debaucle wasn’t getting me anywhere, I hopped back a decade or so to do more work on my 18th century things…the pockets, to be specific.

2014-09-30 09.39.26As you may recall, I was drawn to this fabric, which I thought would make a fabulous 18th century apron. I was informed advised that it wasn’t right for the times (BTW – the advisers were correct) and I’d set it aside. But I still like it and was hoping to use it for something. Then the pockets rotated into production and that’s where the orange is going. I get to use it and no one will see it – a win-win as far as I’m concerned.

I do like this orange. The major benefit: if a pocket falls it will be easy to spot. In the dark. Without a flash light.

This fabric is a lightweight cotton. When I held the front and back pieces together it seemed a bit flimsy. Those pockets have to carry my keys, cell phone and change purse at the least: not exactly a ton, but too much for the fabric alone. Even doubling the fabric wasn’t sufficient.

I have absolutely no clue as to whether this is period-correct or not, since I made it up on the spot, but I decided to make a lining of heavy twill. It only goes as far at the center pocket slit, so the pockets will hang smoothly from their waist ties, but leaves enough supported area for the things I’ll want to have with me.

To avoid bulky edges and keep the outside line clean, I used the selvage for the top edge of the liner. Then I whip-stitched the top edge of the liner to the inside (wrong side) of the pocket using matching thread and tiny stitches. A few extra tacking stitches went to the bottom of the pocket slit, since that’s where most wear and tear occurs. From the outside you can’t tell it’s there, which was the goal.

Pin shows stitches from attaching the liner as they appear on the right side (outside).

Pin shows stitches from attaching the liner as they appear on the right side (outside).

I applied the lining to the wrong side of the other pocket piece and pinned them together. Yes, it does make the pocket a bit heavier. Fortunately, since the pockets tie around the waist the weight will be resting on my hips. (No comment.)

Next step is sewing around the outside edge (machine), turning the pocket right side out, then sewing around the edge a second time (by hand) to conceal the raw edges on the inside.

As for the sleeve cap, I’m deciding what I want it to look like so I’ll be mulling that over for a day or two.

Advertisements