A Finished 18th Century Pocket, with #2 on the Way.

One down and one to go! The final steps are pretty simple, but I’m showing them in case this whole make-something-and-then-turn-it-inside-out process is new for someone. Here’s what I did:

Sew around the pocket edge using a back-stitch tack where the center pocket edges meet on the front side. It’s the other area of high strain so I wanted to add some reinforcement. It will get tacked again once it’s been turned right side out.

2014-12-03 11.04.16

Then I cut notches in the outside curves at the base of the pocket. Always notch outer curves – it allows the curves to lay flat when they’re turned so you don’t end up with any lumpy-bumpies around the edge.

Turning the pocket right side out took a little more time than usual. The addition of heavy twill lining meant I had to proceed carefully in order to get a nice, clean edge that lays flat and doesn’t buckle.

In the end I decided to machine stitch around the turned pocket after all – that doubled heavy lining was murder on my hands and who needs that?

The finished pocket. You can see where the lining edge is but there's no bump or ridge.

The finished pocket. You can see where the edge of the lining is but there’s no bump or ridge.

The "action shot" - pocket holding change purse and camera.

The “action shot” – pocket holding change purse and camera.

I’m considering sewing down the center of the lined area (vertically, from the base of the center slit to the base of the pocket) and basically split the bottom part in half, with the goal of keeping things from shifting around as I move. Probably not period correct either, but women of the 18th century weren’t toting around their cell phones, cameras, ferry tickets, bus passes, travel pack of tissues, lip balm and wad of keys.

Traditionally, as I understand it, each pocket was sewn on its own length of tie/cord so the wearer would tie one around her waist so it hung on her right side and a tie a second so that it hung on her left side. This is where I’ll depart from tradition again. There are so many things to tie around my waist (pockets, quilted petticoat, outer petticoat, and apron) I want to spare as much bulk as possible. So I’m attaching both pockets to a single length of twill tape. (Just as soon as I can find where it’s hiding.)

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “A Finished 18th Century Pocket, with #2 on the Way.

  1. Great idea to split the pocket in half by sewing up the center! I’ve never seen it done before, but what a convenience. It’s awful fishing around in pockets when all the items get mixed up in the middle. I may borrow this idea … 🙂

    • Please do! I imagined everything would be sliding around and (just as you describe) me having to fish around blindly to find whatever I was after. And I have short arms! 😉

Comments are closed.