A Project Update at Last!!

Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes

Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes

HSM #3, The Case of the Contraband Crinoline, is turning out to be a bit of a detective story in and of itself. Some of my sewing things have not yet been unearthed from the move. And my camera is still missing. *insert complete exasperation here* Perhaps I should have chosen a less sinister-ish title? Oh, well – too late to do much about that now.

I’m beginning to feel perhaps I should hire a good detective…or psychic…or get Professor Trelawney  to read my tea leaves. (Hmmm…that last one might prove a bit dodgy.)

Emma Thompson as Prof. Trelawney

Emma Thompson as Prof. Trelawney

But since my friend’s letting me use her camera, things have been a bit smoother and after a bit, (45 minutes, to be specific) of futzing around with the computer this morning, I was able to upload the latest driver and then upload the files to DropBox. Finally!!! A couple of shots are a tad blurry, so my apologies in advance.

I’ll go back over what I’d written previously and add the photos. Then it’s on to the crinoline’s current status. So, from the top…this is the goal:

First I cut the bone casing (used for the vertical support ribbons/tapes) into lengths, then carefully marked the top and bottom ends, and the levels for each hoop.

Next I cut three pieces of muslin for the bag (the fabric that covers the bottom hoops to prevent accidentally stepping through them), marked the folding and sewing lines and sewed the pieces together.

One section of the bag, with stitching lines for boning channels marked.

One section of the bag, with stitching lines for boning channels marked.

The three bag sections sewn into a long rectangle and folded in half horizontally.

The three bag sections sewn into a long rectangle and folded in half horizontally.

The open ends form the center front and now it was time to sew them together with the boning channel markings matched. Now it’s one big loop.

 With the bag folded back in half again (horizontally) it was time to stitch the boning channels #6, 7 and 8.

I didn’t get as far as planned at the end of the previous post, so now we’re up to date.

Today I started setting up the cage with the bone casing. It’s also the day I’m glad I am OCD enough to have thoroughly marked each length of casing. Starting from the center back, I marked the placement for each of the vertical support tapes all the way around the bag.

Starting from the center back, I marked the placement for each of the vertical support tapes all the way around the bag.

At this point, for reasons that escape me, I decided that I wanted a round of narrow lace around the top of the bag. Nothing fancy – something as plain and “coarse” as the muslin itself. I’ve not seen an extant 1850’s crinoline with lace applied like that, but my mind was set on it. Fortunately, I had a scrap length of just the right thing. (Well, right for what I wanted – not right historically speaking. I think.)

So, as I sewed around the top of the bag to attached the vertical tapes, I also attached the lace.

Once I had all of the tapes sewn in place, I laid it out so I could see “the big picture.” The first thought that came to mind is that of a corset cover for an enormous octopus…that’s missing one arm.

So now the bag, with its bands trailing, is folded up and awaiting construction of the waist cincher, from which the bands will hang (with the bag at the bottom).

2007-01-05 01.32.51

And the waist cincher is awaiting the arrival of 5 four-inch lengths of white steel boning. Happily, they should be here in a couple of days. I also realized I need another coil of boning and it will be here soon as well.

So I’m gonna try, however I may not make the due date on the 30th. But I’ll be pretty darned close…as long as that weird octopus thing behaves itself.

Advertisements