HSM #8 – A Very Productive Thursday

WooHoo! It’s finally looking like a dress, or at least a bodice, and I’m loving the stripes. The fabric is by RJR and is from a 2012  collection called “The Sweet Shop” by Dan Morris. All day yesterday I kept thinking of candy canes and peppermint sticks (when I wasn’t cursing the placket) and hoping I don’t end up looking like a giant version of same. Now I’m far enough along I know that won’t happen.

After I set in the sleeves I kept thinking it looked fine – but a bit boring. I tried adding some solid pink, like I’d done in for faux-draping session, but it wasn’t working for me. So I left the sleeves unhemmed while I considered the options. Then I remembered my stash of vintage lace and something I’d bought a while ago because I thought it would look great on an Edwardian dress. Just as had happened with the hat, once I saw it on the bodice I knew I had to go with it. Using the lace added about three hours of hand sewing but it was worth it.

I used it to hem the sleeves…

2015-08-06 13.46.26

2015-08-06 13.46.08

And across the front panel of the bodice…

2015-08-06 14.53.10

Then, just to go a bit overboard, I also used it to edge the pieces running over the shoulders…

I’m not worried about the shoulder straps being too short, since the bottom edges will be completely covered by the cummerbund wrap around the waist. They are not part of the pattern, so I had to figure them out and make the stripes work. It wasn’t difficult but it did take three tries to get them the way I want.

The remaining steps are:

  1. sew the skirt to the bodice,
  2. sew the cummerbund waist wrap in place,
  3. sew on the hooks and eyes, and
  4. hem the skirt.

I think I’m going to make it on time!

Advertisements