The Embroidered Reticule Gets Its Start

It seems like the weather has been conspiring against me. Once I decided on the fabric color and the design for the embroidered reticule, I went shopping for floss and chose some complimentary colors. Easy enough, sure. The only thing left to do was transfer the Ackermann’s design to the fabric. And that took until today.

I tried a pressure transfer paper, but everything came out thick and blurry. I could draw the design free-hand, but I want an exact replica so no go there. I don’t have a light box any more (it’s been gone for years) and the local quilt shops don’t have one I could use. Nor do I know anyone who has one. And it’s been grey, overcast and rainy for days – not enough light to trace it. Grrrr.

But, at long last, today the sun came out for a few hours and I did the old tape-it-on-the-window-and-trace-it-while-you-can-still-see-it method, which worked without a hitch. Now it’s in my favorite embroidery frame (a souvenir from my class at the Royal School of Needlework in England) and ready to start getting gorgeous.

1

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “The Embroidered Reticule Gets Its Start

  1. You can make a light box of sorts with a plastic bin and a shop light. Not as nice as a real one but it does work. A little less awkward than tracing on the window.

    regards,
    Theresa

Comments are closed.